Tuesday 12 February 2019

Old Ramsgate and Margate photos busy day at work


 This is the hotel that was on the Augusta Road end of Wellington Crescent, we moved to Augusta Road in about 1967 and it had long been demolished. I think the demolition took place around 1960
 Not sure about the Northwood and Southwood bit on this one as I assumed all the usable wood from both places had gone before 1600, but definitely Moses's Yard when it was where Port Ramsgate is now.
 I posted one of this period between Westcliff shopping arcade being built and the military road arches, so I would guess around 1890.
 I think this is also 1880 to 1890s
Here we have the tall Granville Tower, height reduced in 1900 and military road arches so late 1890s

 Next a few pictures of The Church of St John the Baptist at Margate. A fair bit of this built in the 1200s and 1300s








Here in the bookshop my task of working through the books and trying to make sure they are cheaper than you could buy them online is still in the metalwork books.

 I got badly distracted by Modern Shop Practice an American engineering book with a motoring section
 Venturing into Gasoline Alley before 1920 I think you could easily encounter a car with a powerful engine but no brakes whatsoever on the front wheels


Strange how Amazon turned metalworker into mental worker




A very busy day in the bookshop today, I guess partly due to the lack of workable shopping destinations in the southeast. We only managed to top up Beatrix Potter here is the link to the photos of the books




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.