Tuesday 26 February 2019

The Alma Conspiracy and other Local History Conundrums

 With the local history of Thanet it is worth remembering that much of our economy was founded from about 1740 on the curative power of the seaside.
 Drapers Mills
 That until around 1950 a very large proportion of visitors arrived by sea with the first reliable paddle steamer service dating from 1815




 St Lawrence





I think this must be Dunkirk

Not the prefabs, I wonder why the homelessness problem isn't being solved in this way at the moment? It worked in the 50s and 60s
Two pictures of The Alma Inn from the same collection I am pretty sure the bottom one is right
Confirmed by this next picture
Although I think it was demolished a bit later than 1970, so I wonder where the first of the three photos is, another Alma?

On to now and the out and about photos I took yesterday



 A bit of a makeover above Godden's amusement arcade









 The Schoolwear Centre has been boarded up over the signs saying it was going to reopen soon
The whole old Lewis and Hyland site has had a bumpy time since it closed

A quiet day in the bookshop so a lot of books got priced and put out

Link to the pictures of the books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.