Saturday 16 February 2019

A bit of local history a few pictures

Very much the relationship between working in the bookshop here in Ramsgate and local pictures today
So this first lot are adverts or pages from one of the historic guides we publish, there is a sense in which this type of thing works differently on paper and I strongly recommend coming into the bookshop for a browse. Here is the link to it on our website
 This same firm produced a Ramsgate and Broadstairs guide at the same time, here is the link something that makes me wonder why C J Elliot & Son, with branches in Ramsgate and Broadstairs but not Margate would advertise in the Margate guide.


 I wonder how The Albert would fare under the trades description act?


I'm also not sure about Alington Castle or how it would relate to a Margate Guide

The rest of the pictures are Ramsgate ones








I was pleased to find another photo of the Alma Inn, I know I used to drink in there many moons ago


I did go to Wetherspoons and fiddle about with my painting
The business of using watercolour paper that you can remove mistakes from is something that is interesting, the whole business of painting down from above inside a building something I should like to master. There is something a bit snakes and ladders about it - snakes and ladders was originally a Hindu reincarnation game I think.

I took a few photos in Ramsgate today here is the link   

I am moaning about the dysfunctional internet again, not the connection speed or anything like that, but vanishing useful free content. I am not really sure if this is because the content isn't there as I have been having difficulty using search engines to find things I have put online myself.

I think it is probably down to the internet being swamped by sites trying to get money out of people. But it is becoming increasingly difficult to use the internet for local history research.

The way internet tracking works is getting progressively irritating too, some days I look up several hundred books at work, which is increasingly resulting in social media trying to sell them to me when I finish.

I am also making a note to check what impact the EU's recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme will have on the Manston DCO.

I also think that the RSP Deadline 1 submission may have been missed by some people,

Here is the link to it 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.