Wednesday 4 July 2018

Ramsgate Photos old and new

 I think this was Moses's Shipyard before it moved to the western undercliff, you can see into the railway turntable for the station bottom left I would think the photo dates from around 1860
 My mind is a bit focussed on the Royal Victoria Pavilion aka Wetherspoons (built in 1903 so not in the top picture) here in Ramsgate, not sure if the sandbags are to do with the war effort.
Note the ice cream man

I think this one must have been taken soon after the pavilion was opened in 1903


These next three pictures show damage to the harbour caused by running the sluices using the head of water in the inner basin to clear the silt out of the outer harbour
I think the photos were taken around 1900

I skived off work this afternoon, had a late lunch at the Pav, did a bit of painting
sitting in the shade of a bush
I have been encouraging the youf of today in the use of cameras, one of my favourite pocket cameras is the "Canon S3 IS" so I have more than one of these. This makes it easy to explain aspects providing I can remember how to use it. Still can't find the exposure compensation button - ah I see you have to do with Func which doesn't work in auto mode, stupid. Both my Nikon and Pentax have a button on the outside which works in every mode, what were Canon thinking of.

Anyway I took it out to play with today and here are the links to the pictures I took with it.

Link 1                      Link 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.