Thursday 11 April 2019

Art Fanit, Folkestone, History, pictures

 With local history it is often the pictures that tell the story, before photography the pictures were all painted or drawn. The one above if by Turner and of Eastcliff Lodge in Ramsgate
This next one is also by Turner and of Margate, some sort of industrial building on the left, probably a tinning works. Basically coating iron and steel cooking utensils with tin to stop them going rusty.

this is the link to all the photos I took in Ramsgate yesterday 

We went to Folkestone today, one of the last East Kent coastal towns where shopping is possible, and it makes a change from Canterbury.

I did a bit more to my painting from Chocolate Cafe in Folkestone.

 I don't do shopping, but understand that you can't get Yorkshire tea and a decent chocolate muffin in Thanet
 one that comes with molten chocolate
In Thanet I think the best you are likely to achieve is sponge cake coated with a mixture of butter and icing sugar, yuck. Why would anyone do such a thing?

Contemporary art that I think started with Duchamp's urinal, seems to attract grant funding but little interest from the general public. But fairly conventional decorative art seems to be alive and well.

Here is the link of the photos I took today in Folkestone 

There are signs of large art based funding in Folestone and I wonder why we don't seem to be getting much here in Ramsgate



 Ramsgate supports several privately run art galleries and a bookshop.

Here is the link to the books we put out yesterday 

Ok I know if you want to make an animation you should bring a tripod , but it made me laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.