Thursday 18 April 2019

Thanet pictures from a 1940s guide and stuff

 Bookshopping in Canterbury today, the star buy being the guide these pictures come from, at the moment I am basing the date on the Bounty sailing ship being in Ramsgate Harbour

This was an iron hulled barquentine rigged (three masts, square sails at the front and triangular ones at the back) sailing ship built in Sunderland in 1875.

She made at least two voyages to Auckland in the 1870s was dismasted in a hurricane in the 1880s sailed to New Zealand in the 1890s.

Had some sort of life in Finland and Norway in the early 1900s

Converted into a floating restaurant which operated in Ramsgate from 1946 to about 1951

She was broken up in 1952

With this sort of guide the pictures have poor quality reproduction and tend to be very ordinary views, but the do help with dating other pictures and sometimes with their context too.

I am still contributing to the comments on Councillor Paul Messenger's post in Facebook

Here is the link to it

I am finding it an interesting one and if you are interested in the future of Manston, the forthcoming council elections etc it is worth reading. 

I will carry on writing this ramble further down.












I took several Canterbury Watercolour sketches in progress with me, I find I have to do this as being able to carry on with a sketch is dependent on getting a seat I had previously, I did a bit more to this one.

Our internet connection seems to be a bit weak and intermittent at the moment so I have been using my phone to comment and write the blog a fair amount, apologies for any errors using the smaller screen.

In my usual way I took a camera to Canterbury today and am publishing the whole content of the camera card to the internet, as I usually do

Here is the link to today's photos 

The bookshop is closed tomorrow, because it's a Bank Holiday



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.