Tuesday 30 April 2019

Oosterschelde schooner today. The Tall Ships visit Ramsgate Harbour in 2007 photos and some sort of Ramble


The Oosterschelde schooner from the Netherlands is in Ramsgate Harbour at the moment, some of the crew/passengers were in the bookshop today and they said they are sailing tomorrow morning, so I popped out this evening to take a photo.

The main part of this post is 350 photos I took when the Tall Ships visited Ramsgate in 2007 the file popped up when saving today's



 The Belgian before is also part of the folder.

Here in the bookshop people have mostly been talking about books and not the forthcoming local elections, I managed to stop a customer from buying book 5 in the Earthsea series before buying books 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Local history wise I had one of those don’t jump too far situations with Victorian street directories. The problem here is that as far back a 1849 you get Ramsgate and Margate streets where the houses are numbered, but often the rating officer changed the street numbers or in some cases like half of Harbour Street in Ramsgate that is now Harbour Parade the street name too.

This can be a bit difficult for the person who has bought a house in Ramsgate and researched their house back to say 1920 and someone else’s house between 1849 and 1920 because the number changed.

The moral here is come into the bookshop and browse very carefully through the later directories.

Here is the link to the books we put out today

A few older Thanet photos next

I will try to do a bit more later, label a few photos and so on










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.