Saturday 22 June 2019

Old Thanet photos, The Isle of Thanet from the sailors point of view in 1580, a bit of painting...

first the old local pictures
 The fragments of the postmark on the back of this one suggest 1907 which looks about right to me
 plenty of fishing smacks then as you would expect








Next today's photos

Link to the ones on my camera

this is where I got to at the end of yesterday
Good hard paper this so you can sponge mistakes off, Bockingford NOT or clod pressed and as Albion House (top left) was too low I sponged it off, when I get a chance I will paint it in in the right place

Pricing books today I notices the charts in this one, the book will go out on the shelf for a tenner

 This one is from 1580, note only Margate is significant enough to appear on the chart, Sandwich being the main local port then.

 This one from 1800 shows a very different picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.