Wednesday 26 June 2019

Ramsgate's Mad Mayor, Ramsgate Tunnels and some Margate pictures

 Times change and Mayors behave differently ABC Kempe also know as the Mad Mayor would probably behave differently with a carnival queen now. Bring back the good old days? 
 Also known as "The Top Hat Mayor" although not for bowles where hat and spoon etiquette was complex back in the good old days.
 Food immediately after WW2 when rationing was still in operation, should be viewed differently to today
 When it came to making friends senior citizens ranked with carnival queens. When it came to saving the lives of the people living in Ramsgate ABC was responsible for the underground tunnel air raid system.

We publish and stock various books and maps about this
This is one of the maps, we don't post these as they come in a long tube, this version should expand fairly well if you click on it a bit.

The pictures above come from ABC's book about being mayor of Ramsgate, a hard act to follow. We often have original copies in stock and also do a cheap reprint - worth a browse when you are in the bookshop, for those who can't here is the link to the buy it now button so I can post it to you.

Ramsgate Tunnels are open to the public, here is the link to their website  if you are in this frame of mind tomorrow it's Thursday so the bookshop is closed but the tunnels are open.

Next some pictures of Margate












I did manage to get out for a walk after work today, a bit gusty and a few lifeboat and small boat photos

Link to today's photos

Invigorating if you have this type of toy and the inclination 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.