Sunday 13 January 2019

A translation for Non-British English speakers and some old Thanet photos.

This is particularly for Non-British readers, I guess that the Brits reading will already understand all of the following phrases, but our mixture of understatement and sarcasm has evolved some phrases which foreign readers and listeners - who are fluent in the English language, including most Americans just don't understand.

I think this could be at bottom of Theresa May's dreadful BREXIT agreement, which would seem to leave us with all of the disadvantages of both being in and out of the EU.

So if you are not British consider what the following phrases mean here in the UK. I have put the answers and what most non Brits think they mean at the bottom of this post, but do have a go first.

I hear what you say.


With the greatest respect..


That's not bad.


That is a very brave proposal.


Quite good.


I would suggest...


Oh, incidentally/by the way.


I was a bit disappointed that.


Very interesting.


I'll bear it in mind.


I'm sure it's my fault.


You must come for dinner.


I almost agree.


I only have a few minor comments.


Could we consider some other options?


Anyway on with the historic photos of The Isle of Thanet (Thanet isn't an island.)


 Note the bucket dredger Hope
 I think this dates from the late 1930s
 The "Mystery Port" during WW1 railway

 We had thee tugs called Aid this is the double ender.

 Palm Bay Bathing 1924



That was the historic photos. So long thanks for all the fish.

I went of Canterbury today where I bought some books for Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate where I work as a shop assistant.


Among the books I bought were some Observer's Books of Aircraft, I did a bit of watercolour painting and took a few Photos although it wasn't really light enough for photography.

Link to the photos

I was particularly intrigued by the problem of scaffolding a building that gets wider at the top where the building overhangs the road at the bottom. 

I am trying at the moment to remember to put interesting content - in terms comments on blog posts here that are linked to Facebook; where the comments appear.

The last of the smack boys, and I guess these would have been between round 9 and around 15, said. 'When I started I was very young and the older smack boys showed me how to put my hands inside the fish to keep them warm and prevent me getting frostbite.

Mangaed to find the comment again. "Michelle Goodall I had the privilege of interviewing the last living smack boy. Long time ago now. I remember him telling me that as a little boy, the older boys taught you how to put your hands in a fishes guts to stop frost bite. He went to sea as a really small boy"

On the work front, the books that went out in the bookshop yesterday while I had skived off and was painting at the Pav

This is the link to the photos of the books

On to the table about the misunderstanding of British English, sorry about the slidy wosisname at the bottom, the moral maybe, don't use your mobile phone to publish tables in blogger editor.

's not clear who came up with the table, although it's done the rounds online for several years - possibly 2011 in a blog by Oxfam.
What the British sayWhat the British meanWhat others understand
I hear what you sayI disagree and do not want to discuss it furtherHe accepts my point of view
With the greatest respect...I think you are an idiotHe is listening to me
That's not badThat's goodThat's poor
That is a very brave proposalYou are insaneHe thinks I have courage
Quite goodA bit disappointingQuite good
I would suggest...Do it or be prepared to justify yourselfThink about the idea, but do what you like
Oh, incidentally/by the wayThe primary purpose of our discussion is...That is not very important
I was a bit disappointed thatI am annoyed thatIt doesn't really matter
Very interestingThat is clearly nonsenseThey are impressed
I'll bear it in mindI've forgotten it alreadyThey will probably do it
I'm sure it's my faultIt's your faultWhy do they think it was their fault?
You must come for dinnerIt's not an invitation, I'm just being politeI will get an invitation soon
I almost agreeI don't agree at allHe's not far from agreement
I only have a few minor commentsPlease re-write completelyHe has found a few typos
Could we consider some other options?I don't like your ideaThey have not yet 
By way of further explanation the hit statistics for this blog are usually in the 1,000 hits a day ballpark, although I am fairly certain that a much smaller number of people read it. They also say that about 10% of the hits come from outside of the UK mostly America.

In 1928 H. W. Fowler listed these phrases and their uses:

Yours faithfully (to unknown person on business)
Yours truly (to slight acquaintance)
Yours very truly (ceremonious but cordial)
Yours sincerely (in invitations and friendly but not intimate letters)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.