Thursday 31 January 2019

A place that exists only in moonlight: Katie Paterson & J. M. W. Turner at Turner Contemporary and other Margate diversions.

Inevitably our arrival at the exhibition was late,


we had bought books in Herne Bay and Margate. I had very little time to view the exhibition and really just went through it taking a few photos.

Here is the link to them

The last gallery of "A place that exists only in moonlight: Katie Paterson & J. M. W. Turner" is a tad disorientating a sort of son et lumiere made from what returns from space. I would have preferred to have been able to see the piano strings and hammers, but otherwise ten out of ten.

Turning Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata into morse code, bouncing it off the moon and playing what comes back. well I am still thinking about that one. Particularly about how morse code would transcribe. Would it be the letters of the notes? What about the sharps and flats? Rhythm?

I have an interest in both art and science and for what of a better phrase. The way scientists communicate what is going on in science to non scientists.

The whole business of the relationship between art and science is well worth exploring. I think it lends itself to the installation exhibition.

There is a whole raft of both contemporary art and contemporary science that falls into areas of communication that doesn't work in a conventional way.

Not sure what the effect will be on the gallery attendants, I can see a danger of unintentional hypnosis.


Hopefully I will get back there soon with a bit more time. Perhaps even write something a bit more coherent about it.

I went off to the cafe and did a pen sketch over PG Tips and a chocolate wosisname
Ok on to Margate and time. The reason for the rush in Margate is that everything seems to close so early. The bookshops, the kitchen at Turner Contemporary Cafe, I suppose I am used to doing Canterbury at the end of my winter out and about days.

I think Turner must have had a lot more time to sketch Margate than I had today

This sketch of his from 1830 (not in the current exhibition) appeals to me.

Old photos next
 The only Margate scout one I can find
 Troops departing from Margate Station
Update from the comments.
I think that the troops are actually French "poilu" who have just arrived!
Replies
  1. I think you are right having given the photo a second look, so WW1.
Another update from Michael Cates The French soldiers are evacuees from Dunkerque in 1940 - it's a standard press shot in all thecontemporary publications on the subject. Ironically although the French troops brought to England accounted for c.120,000 of the 338,000 soldiers rescued, almost all of them returned to France within a couple of weeks.

and of course painting in Margate

A few Ramsgate ones











Here is the link to the books we put out yesterday



2 comments:

  1. I think that the troops are actually French "poilu" who have just arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right having given the photo a second look, so WW1.

      Delete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.