Sunday 6 January 2019

Some old Thanet postcards and Canterbury photos taken today, some questions about publishing photos on the internet

Note Ramsgate Pleasure pier and Granville Marina, click on the link for more about that




Another peer at the pier, this time with a 1912 postmark so you know the photo was taken before




Sunday today and on Sundays I/we usually go to Canterbury, sometimes I do a bit of god bothering, sometimes a bit of shopping, sometimes paint a picture or part of one. (Anyone not familiar with what I mean when I talk about painting in Canterbury can click here for some photos of painting activity.) Sometimes I take photos, normally I put them on the internet somewhere as I like to leave a metaphorical footprint in the sand, to record something. What? Probably being alive, although I's not 100% certain on that one. I will go with Man Sunday. There different ways of killing a cat "but not in a die way." Was in Mr Vicious or Mr Rotten who said that? And I have tried putting photos up in different ways at different times click here for an extreme Canterbury example.

I have put today's photos - the same ones in two different places, one on Google Photos, the advantages to doing this is I can publish there easily from my camera's SD card using my smartphone.
If your phone supports OTG (on the go) you can get an SD card reader that plugs into it for a couple of pounds.

I can also publish very big pictures like the panoramas there easily.


Link to pictures on Google Photos

The other place I put them is on the Michael's Bookshop website, the main advantage of putting the pictures there is that they are not compressed.

Link to pictures on Michael's Bookshop website

Compressed pictures are a bit like butter and margarine, to begin with if it's the best margarine - well you can't tell the difference, can you? But after a while, when the best butter is really cold and the toast really hot - well you know...

Anyway any preferences?

On the work front, although I am never really sure, with the bookshop, about the dividing lines. Work and leisure. Commerce and literature. Art and advertising. Viewing the pictures of the books we priced and put out yesterday, you can see why I don't get fazed when a customer asks. "Where's your Dick."

Link to the pictures of the books 


3 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by the 1800 Reculver picture. Do you think the building to the right would have been a victim of cliff erosion, or simply demolished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy. Anglo Saxon church St Mary aka The Twin Sisters founded in 669 AD enlarged late 1100s to 1500s and demolished in 1805/9 in what is generally considered to be an act of vandalism. Wormald 1982, quoting Taylor, H.M & J. (1965), Anglo-Saxon Architecture "an act of vandalism for which there can be few parallels even in the blackest records of the nineteenth century"
    Some confusion over Chapel of St James with the Church of St Mary. Possibly the chapel of St James was demolished in '1805': however, the demolition of the church of St Mary began in 1805 (or 'September 1809', depending on whom you believe: Kelly, S. (2008), "Reculver Minster and its early Charters", in Barrow, J.; Wareham, A., Myth, Rulership, Church and Charters Essays in Honour of Nicholas Brooks, Aldershot, Surrey: Ashgate, p. 67 gives 1805, but a correspondent to The Gentleman's Magazine, vol. 201, 1856, p. 315 has 'September 1809'); whereas the chapel of St James 'collapsed' in 1802, owing to 'crumbling of the cliffs', according to Kelly, S. (2008), pp. 67, 70. The chapel of St James had certainly been washed away by the sea by 1927, when its remains were 'excavated in 1927 and more closely in 1969': 1927 is when excavation of the church of St Mary was described in Peers, C.R. (1927), 'Reculver: its Saxon church and Cross', in Archaeologia vol. 77, pp. 241–56 which is available online if you want tor ead it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such an informative reply.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.