Tuesday 29 January 2019

Thanet local history stuff mostly

Here in Ramsgate I have been working away in Michael's Bookshop, one task I have on is
producing a facsimile of this 1947 booklet.


Reading this page makes me wonder what went wrong with our council.



As you can see Ramsgate bounced back after WW2

My main focus is still on 1966 and preparing the tourist guide for that year for reprint, having got the OK from the council.

So a bit of 1966 ephemera






I remember going on these "no passport" excursions, however I think after BREXIT relations may be a little strained.

If things go on like they are we will soon reach a point where the vote was to remain exceeds the vote to leave, because of the voters who voted leave dying. If you don't understand this one here is the link

It's a bit hard to read the BREXIT consensus in the bookshop most customers seem to be Remain and I haven't spoken to anyone who seems to favour the deal Theresa May has negotiated or no deal.

Back to the world of work, this is the link to the pictures of the books we put out today


My background task at the moment - something I expect to take months, is checking the book prices on the shelves compete with the prices on the internet.

 I'm somewhere in the woodwork books at the moment
 The only way to do this is to take a pile of about ten books of the shelf.
 Put them on my desk.
 Look them all up on Amazon and Ebay
 Re-price the ones that time has made too expensive.
I don't bother to put up any that have gone up in price.

What I am finding is that it's a lot harder to find the cheapest price on Amazon. Last time I did this a book listed there at 1p meant it would cost £2.81 including postage, now it can mean anything.

An eclectic batch of photos from the Mick Twyman collection today. Presumably all Margate area






















If I get time I will go through and label what I can

Next the Ramsgate ones











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.