Saturday 19 January 2019

Old photos of Ramsgate, Turner prize Comes to Margate for 2019 and Turner in Margate in 1784

Tracey Emin's bed is an artwork that was shortlisted for The Turner Prize in 1999. It was bought by Charles Saatchi for £150,000 which may seem a bit strange unless you appreciate that he sold it for £2,500,000 or more than 16 times as much as he paid for it.
Here you see Margate operatic society in Ramsgate and I suppose this would be in the 1950s a date I may change when I have published this blog post, which will mean I can click on the photo and expand it. I think having looked at the photo it is more likely to be 60s

Mind you Tracey Emin's "My Bed" which was actually created in 1998, has much more of the feel of 1984 for me. Not in an Orwellian sense particularly although the quote from his novel "1984" - “Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” sort of fits with it. I guess it feel like it relates to the dissipation of Post Punk. 

I guess 11 people working at a firewood - is factory the right name, here in Ramsgate says a lot about how the economic climate has changed over the years.
I think the 2 digit phone number suggests before WW1







Jumping back 200 years to 1784, this is the presumably wrong date, that you usually find on J.W.M. Turner's early watercolours painted when he was at school in Margate. I am pretty certain that he didn't actually arrive in Margate until he was 11 in 1786. He went to Margate to attend Coleman's School, but it's the relationship with his landlady that people often focus on.
I think this is a tinsmiths, looking down into Margate from Cliftonville
Minster Church
St John's Margate
Anyway when he was 14 he went off to study at the Royal Academy in London although he often came back to Thanet, presumably for the skies, landlady, wosisname.
I think he looked a bit like this although my brush may have slipped in some places.
 This is one of his later watercolours of Margate
And this one of Margate High Street.

Anyway
Turner Contemporary are thrilled to announce the official dates for Turner Prize 2019. The exhibition will be open to the public from Saturday 28 September 2019 - Sunday 12 January 2020
Turner Prize is one of the best known prizes for visual arts in the world, and Turner Contemporary are proud to be bringing it to Margate. Every other year, the prize leaves Tate Britain and is presented at a venue outside London.
Four of the most exciting artists working right now will be shortlisted to win the prize based on an outstanding exhibition that has taken place in the previous year. The names of these artists will be announced in Spring 2019.

I did manage to skive off for a bit today

painted a bit at Wetherspoons here in Ramsgate.

Took a few photos on the way there

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.