Tuesday 21 May 2019

1822 Map of Ramsgate and ramble

Not quite sure how this copy of the 1822 Ramsgate Map will expand in blogger so I have also published a link to it here.  I have tried to go for a compromise image size that will open OK on your device and where the text will be just about readable.

Several people have told me recently that this map, which used to be online has vanished so the can't access it like they used to do.

We sell paper copies of it in Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate, but I don't post rolled maps out as it is too expensive. We sell various local maps in the bookshop, which are intended to put on the wall and I recommend that if you want some posted you get all the ones you want at one time and get a friend to get the right size cardboard tube, put them all in it and post it to you. 

Should I apologise that yesterday's post was a bit political? Or perhaps better observe that like British Steel the bookshop needs customers and if 10% of my customers lose their jobs or move to Europe because the companies they work for have to relocate then. What? Mostly it's the 10%, because in business it is usually something like the profit of the other 90% of sales that goes to paying the essentials (rent rates light heat wages) and it is only the profit off the last 10%, that for instance allows me to buy, borrow, beg reasonable definition local history pictures and maps and put them here gratis.

Don't mistake me here, Thanet local history is an interest of mine and and I would do something like this anyway, it just wouldn't as good and it wouldn't be supplemented with over 200 paper maps and books. 

But there is an area where linking the blog post here to Facebook groups causes some degree of derision, people make political comet and I try to respond to all of the comments, from the great sea of adverting that is social media. Sometimes they complain that I am promoting bookshops, art galleries and so on.

Back in the day when I was a sort of mechanic I decided I preferred the arts and literature, so I am in that tangle today. The local history came later and sort of developed out of the work in the bookshop.

I skived off early from work in the bookshop today and did a bit more to one of the watercolour sketches, here is the link to the rest of the photos that tell the story With this sort of sketching from life you get something different to what you would get sketching from a photo. Perhaps.

Work wise today here is the link to the photos of the books we put put in the bookshop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.