Tuesday 28 May 2019

Ramsgate Tunnels Air Raid Siren, war ramble old photos, painting in the Pav

 This was the main Grocer in Ramsgate, I guess the nearest equivalent today would be Waitrose, back before the invention of the supermarket equivalents don't quite work.
 This is it after it was bombed in the August 1940 air raid, back when I was a lad most of the groanups had done something or another in the war, they talked about the war a lot, drank weak beer a lot and watched a lot of TV.

I think to us they seemed to have stopped doing anything interesting at the end of the war, there were still a lot of bomb sites around but in the 50s and 60s it became obvious to us young pipple that if there was another world war it would be fairly short and very final.

Our interests were in Ban the Bomb or CND, the Vietnam War - cos of the musik - try some 'Country Joe and the Fish' on the tube.
 Air raids didn't mean that much to us as we were partly expecting one final nuclear air raid, with not much point in the sirens or shelters.
 Ramsgate with Dunkirk, Manston museums, the tunnels etc is still fairly focused on both world wars,

Back to today
a fairly quiet one
a few sad signs
bit of work on the new sea defences
until


Video of siren


We publish a book about Thanet's Air Raid Sirens

Here is the link 

as always I recommend coming into Michael's Bookshop, where I work here in Ramsgate and giving it a browse.

Some Margate air raid pictures







Here in the bookshop a lot of younger customers because of half term, pretty much the only people who seem to think young people don't read and buy books are older people who don't read and buy books themselves.

Here is the link to the pictures of the books we put out today

Supper in Wetherspoons aka Royal Victoria Pavilion Ramsgate where I added a couple of people, getting very hard to spot the difference with this sketch Link to bigger picture 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.