Wednesday 8 May 2019

Thanet pictures. computers and stuff

Starting with a heap of postcards and photos of Harbour Parade in Ramsgate taken between about 1890 and 1994. The first five postcards are all based on the same photo. You can see the problem for the local historian, things are not always what they seem.

























I think there can be very little doubt that if you are reading this then you are using some sort of electronic computing device, and I suppose as someone who started using computers around 1970 the way they, in their various forms impact on life and work interest me.

In the course of a month this blog gets around 20,000 visits a month at the moment and most of those leave some sort of trace. Over the last few years the situation has moved from most people who visit using a windows computer and internet explorer to most people who visit using a phone or tablet and using Chrome browser. 

I was particularly interested to read that the teaching of computer studies in schools is declining here is the link to today's bbc news article  I can't say that I am surprised as the nature of learning to use a computer is that you learn from the computer and not from a human teacher.

Employing people to use devices, there are eight of us who work here in the bookshop, most of the ITC relates to making the business make more money or at least loose less money. So mostly things I think schools mostly never taught, like selling items on the internet or producing saleable booklets.   

I would think, based on people I talk to the biggest ITC issue we face in the UK is with the over 60s and smart phones. Something along the lines of there are various forms of illiteracy that put people at a disadvantage and one of these is the relationship between the nasty things that can happen to the over 60s and how being able to use a smart phone fairly well can make life better for them, if something nasty happens.

Some Margate photos next


 I think this is Queen St Margate (runs between Cecil Sq and High st)
 Palm Bay 1922
 This must be a very early photo of the Lido pool



I guess if you are a senior person who has got behind on smartphone front , the main tips are.

Make sure you get a phone with a proper operating system. Android or Apple.

Best to get a new one, Argos is a good one.

Make sure it is unlocked, also called "sim free" which means it will work with all the different phone providers.

Best to start with pay as you go, giffgaff seems to be providing the best deal at the moment.

Avoid any sort of contract that means you are tied into paying and paying.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.