Wednesday 15 May 2019

photos, painting, animations, what's where in Ramsgate's King and High Streets in 1974 it's all in there somewhere for a bit of clicking

So first of all congratulation to Ramsgate’s new mayor Raushan Ara, my observations on Ramsgate Town Council don’t change. I think that when the people of Ramsgate petitioned for and voted in a referendum to pay extra on the council tax to have an electable town council the main thing people wanted to come out of this was to have an organisation, putting Ramsgate’s point of view to the other councils.

This is not about getting extra, but about getting a fair share, both in terms of similar towns in Kent from the county council and getting a fair share from the Thanet District.

Even then this doesn’t just come down to money but extends into getting a fair share of the pollution.

I skived off from work in the bookshop at the bookshop and had lunch on the sundeck of the Royal Victoria Pavilion aka Wetherspoons 

I did a bit more to a watercolour paining I was doing from there last autumn before the weather got too cold to sit outside painting.




I also took some photos including the ones I used to make the animation above.

Link to today's photos

For the dedicated blog reader this contains the pictures of the King Street and High Street pages from a 1974 Kelly's Directory

My laptop having just done a Windows update seems to have gone a bit wonky, so I am going to read my book, Mary Renault's King Must Die, so a good one

on to historic photos



 1905


 I think this is a useful photo from 1907 in terms of dating costumes, while at that time the ordinary skirt length would have been around the ankles there are bathing costumes. I think while these costumes would have been acceptable on the beach then wearing them on the promenade would have probably lead to being arrested.

 1914

Aldermen in 1936


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.