Wednesday 29 May 2019

Old Ramsgate and Margate pictures, minor ramble.


 This is Ramsgate's Western Undercliff probably 1960s
 as we learnt to our cost you have to have a constructive tourism focused council for this

This link takes you to a few photos of the 2015 sprint












This picture was taken outside Wetherspoons Pavilion probably around 1910, the train has gone down the tunnel through the Sands Station, now the derelict Pleasurama site over the turntable which was by the lift which you can see in the background. This happened on numerous occasions and sometimes killed or injured a few people.

When I did bar work, after work as a sort of mechanic or in the school hols back in the 60s and 70s the building in the background was still called The Refectory, all of the ullage went in the mild, including everything left in the cleared glasses I didn't work there for long. Back in the day I soon learnt that as I would be in a bar after work in the evenings I might just as well be standing behind it and being paid to chat and drink.

The man chucking bucketfuls of water onto Harbour Parade is getting the water out of the water tank which is part of the coal tender towed behind the steam locomotive. He is doing this to make it lighter and therefore easier to get back on the rails.

A busy day in the bookshop and I am reminding people who have books they want to sell to send us pictures of the spines.

 a couple of examples from the bookshop stock
you can either bring you phone or camera into the bookshop and show us the photos or you can email them or share the folder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.