Sunday 5 May 2019

A few old Ramsgate and Margate photos and some thoughts on Wetherspoons etc


The inevitable policeman in the middle of Ramsgate

Lunch in Wetherspoons aka The Royal Victoria Pavilion Ramsgate today, a bit of painting but also a bit of consideration about the social impact of this large and functional indoor facility in Ramsgate.

An area most people in the town seem feel comfortable using and considering the size of the venue compared to the size of the population. Complicated and easy to pick holes in but none the less it seems to me to be important. I think an important factor is that the security staff produce something equivalent to the level of policing that we experienced back in the day. Pricing is also a factor especially the bottomless tea and coffee (you can keep filling it up once you have bought the first cup) but somewhere where I don't think the prices would exclude most people. 

There isn't really a great deal to do this May Day bank holiday, especially for a group of people with a broad age range, it's a bit cold to stay outside and having run the options I was interested that it was the stay in Ramsgate and spend the afternoon in Wetherspoons aka The Royal Victoria Pavilion that won through.

Here in terms of Michael's Bookshop, which is where I work, the bookshop is closed tomorrow. The bookshop closes on Sundays and Thursdays and it also closes on all Bank Holidays. There is a sense that our bookshop is becoming more of a destination for people further away and so I try to go for something consistent.

here is the link to the photos on the camera card taken yesterday and today I think



 This one says 1947 on it
 and thins one which is the same says 1956 on it





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.