Saturday 15 December 2018

Albion House Ramsgate before the restoration and some stuff from 2013 and before

 Starting with some older local photos, first The Ramsgate land train
 And an early one of Merrie England, later to become Pleasurama, now I think mostly mud and waiting to become some sort of earner.
 Northdown Road back in the day before back in the day
 This is probably the 1948 festival of light or the Ramsgate lights for the Festival of Britain or the coronation.
 2013 in Ramsgate, were you there? Do you remember anything about it?
 I think it was the year Father Christmas had the legendary accident with The Tower of St George
 Also the year Tesco wanted to move into Arlington House in Margate
 A few businesses opened in Ramsgate


Of course some closed too, difficult times and very hard to know what goods would sell in sufficent quantities to cover the overheads.


 A shop sign fell of in one of the gales
Ah yes and Albion House in Ramsgate opened to the public before the restoration, that was November 2017, but as Alice said. "I forgot."

Here is the link to the photos I took of inside it then

I had brunch at Wetherspoons aka The Royal Victoria Pavilion, consistently good value for money and about the only busy place in Ramsgate, which I guess is due to the horrible weather.


I took a few photos, but it was too cold and windy so I scurried off back to the bookshop where I pretended to do some work.



This is what was the Shipwrights Arms photographed today

Here it is photographed in 2015 a different lot of scaffolding and a different makeover, I wonder what it will be called this time









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.