Thursday 13 December 2018

Old Ramsgate and Margate photos, sunset ramble

 Local photos first, I think most of them should expand reasonably well if you click on them. A bit cold today so I have mostly gone for summer seaside ones.
 Note with this one, before the pavilion was built in 1903 and before the Granville tower was lowered in 1900 after the pier was built in 1881
 After the Pavilion was built in 1903 but before the station closed in 1926





 This one is very old for a photo, before the Sands Station was built in 1860
 These two are of the Paragon Baths collapse 1958/9 I think

 This is 2012








 2012 again


We went to Herne Bay today

The sunset across Pegwell bay towards Deal/Sandwich


as you can see was quite something on the way home today.

I was going to ramble on a bit now. Really I don't have that much to say and seem to be a bit sleepy, something I put down to it being so close to the middle of winter. Well I guess more the middle of less daylight, I think it is only about another week to the shortest day.

Book wise I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, I would say it falls into the category of  historical teen fiction and is set in Nazi Germany, mostly during WW2. I am about a quarter of the way through and would say that it's a book that would interest a lot of readers.

Australian author, my previous book was the new Haruki Murakami, Killing Commendatore, that was very good, we are very unlikely to get it in stock for some time and it will probably set you back the best part of £15 wherever you get it.

I see you can by the digital file on ebay at the moment for £1.75 although I assume that this not the official version as the Kindle download is £9.99 from Amazon. I wonder where you would stand having bought it from Ebay if it transpired to be a pirated copy?

To be honest I don't think magic realism is a style of writing that lends itself to being read on a device, but then I suppose that depends on who you are and how you manage different styles and formats.

I find I get on fairly well with light adventure mystery fiction on a device, what was once called "pulp fiction" but the rest doesn't go so well for me.

I suppose it's a whole and relatively new area, certainly giving me ideas as to why the bookshop here in Ramsgate is doing fairly ok at the moment.

One of yesterday's customers came to a book he had been reading the previous evening when the Kindle file just stopped about two third of the way through. Fortunately we had a copy, and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

Here are the rest of the sunset shots



I didn't think sunset photography lent itself to, out of the car window, but there you go. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.