Tuesday 18 December 2018

More old Thanet Pictures

 This one of Grange Road Windmill looks to have been taken around 1900, if you go back to the early 1800s when Grange Road was just a path between South Wood and the clifftop where The Grange was going to be built. Or looked at another way, the path along the parish boundary there were three windmills. By 1850 only one remained and I think this is the one in that site.
 With the Convent of the Assumption in Goodwin Road
Auntie Google suggests only the gate remains




 Unusual to find pictures of the war defences in Ramsgate as civilian photography was banned becase of invasion fears.

 this doesn't fit too well with the other picture of the Children's corner there


 Reposting this one from yesterday isn't a mistake, I thought it was so difficult to follow where it was against what it like now I thought it best to photograph a now for this then.

  Sorry for not taking a stepladder, but you know how it is, street cred and all that. Start with the same window top left in both photos, when trying to work out the puzzle of Ramsgate High Street





 I think nearly every guesthouse in Thanet had a postcard like this, we certainly did for Tke Kyles in Augusta Road

 A couple of the less political correct photos, The Cripples Holiday Home and Uncle Bones performing outside The Britannia

 I think this must be a crop from the one above, not my cropping

 On the street cred front I think this surpasses The Graduate, Dustin Hoffman was born too late for this diversion in book pricing.

Here is the link to the pictures of the books

This is the Isle of Thanet Gas Company outing and I am mindful that one of these men may be Ernest Cockburn here is the link  one of those very Ramsgate reads if you haven't... Well if you followed the link I guess you have read a bit.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Michael, thank you for your wonderful blog. I love the Thanet pics particularly - it keeps me in touch with the old place even though I'm over here in Gloucs, and I'm still fascinated by the history of the area. Love your sense of humour too and your writing style. Thank you again and please keep it going! Lizzie (born in Margate, lives in Dursley) xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.