Wednesday 5 December 2018

The Town Hall, The Library and the Wosisname.

In the towns in this area there are various buildings staffed, owned, funded, run by one of the councils.

Here in Thanet Ramsgate, Margate and Broadstairs all have buildings that a lot of people think of as town halls.

Auntie Google brings up something like this when you ask her for Ramsgate, Margate or Broadstairs council.




And for a person who has come out in graffitis, has an infestation of rubbish, a pothole etc these buildings may look like the first port of call.

Believe me when I say things are not like this at all.

One thing that is in all three towns and paid for out of council tax and business rates are public libraries  and they sent me this email:-

"
View this email in your browser

Have your say on the future of Libraries, Registration and Archives in Kent


We want to know what you think of our draft three-year strategy for Libraries, Registration and Archives and our proposal to tier libraries and review opening hours.

To read the draft strategy and complete the questionnaire, visit kent.gov.uk/lrastrategy or pick up copies from any Kent library, register office or Gateway before the 29 January 2019 when the consultation closes.

Your details and comments will only be used to help us make decisions about our future. They will remain strictly confidential as per our data protection policy.

If you do not wish to receive requests like this again from Libraries, Registration and Archives, you can unsubscribe below.

Thank you."


As things are now all of the three towns have libraries only now they are technically called LRA


 These are pictures of Ramsgate Library back in the good old days, not the hats signifying the level the library had improved you to.
  Anyway I filled out the online form. I would put what I said on it here, but unlike most other online forms I have filled in it has just vanished. No confirmatory email and no form there when I log back in.

I don't know anything about the public library in Margate before the new one was built in Cecil Square.
 It should be?
  Here?
 No problem with the town hall though.
Realistically there is a limit to the amount of public buildings that we the council taxpayers can afford to have. With libraries the impact of the internet on the availability of the information they used to provide has to be taken into account too.   

My own feelings are that we should try and get to a situation where all three of our councils share resorcres, rather than just the now you see it now you don't situation that we have in Ramsgate.

There is an issue with libraries though which is that they should be quiet and tranquil enough to read and write creatively in.

On a personal note here, I seem to have managed to break two computers this week and have resorted to my mobile phone for writing big posts.

The upside of this is that I have been using the phone app to post the blog to Facebook, which seems to work better than any other way.
I think this is the Cottage Hospital the old Margate Library



2 comments:

  1. Yes Michael, that (the Cottage Hospital Building) is certainly where the Library was before Cecil Square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.google.com/maps/place/81+Victoria+Rd,+Margate+CT9+1RD,+UK/@51.3869261,1.387627,3a,75y,116.53h,97.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2ybPywLJznJUcVOqPgzNzg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D2ybPywLJznJUcVOqPgzNzg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D212.73854%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d953a5c62bda43:0x788d89fe7e1586e2!8m2!3d51.3869869!4d1.387514?hl=en&authuser=0

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.